Sioux Empire Home Builders Care Foundation
The Sioux Empire Home Builders Care Foundation was established in 2007 as a 501 (c) 3 charitable, non-profit organization. The Care Foundation supports the educational and charitable activities of the association. Some of these activities include funding housing related community service projects, providing scholarships for students going into the building trades and financially supporting other industry related educational programs such as the Workforce Development Grant program. See a list of programs below which make use of the funds.
A number of scholarships are awarded annually to graduating high school seniors through the support of the Care Foundation. Scholarships are awarded to high school graduates who reside in Lincoln, Minnehaha, McCook or Turner counties and have applied for acceptance into a secondary school curriculum within the home building industry or related fields.
Each year, the Care Foundation is proud to offer a grant opportunity to high schools within Minnehaha, Lincoln, McCook and Turner counties. This grant allows the schools to purchase a tool or equipment that will improve the safety or further the knowledge of the students in the building trades classes.
Get involved - Volunteer today!
HBASE is actively working to increase programming opportunities for those interested in entering the home building industry as a career and to better connect various resources with students. Throughout the year, volunteers in the industry are needed to help further our efforts.
Builders - This is a great opportunity to meet the future workforce first hand and show them what job opportunities are available to them in the building industry.
Programs seeking volunteers:
- Construction Club (Harrisburg Middle School)
- Summer Construction Camp (CTE)
- Career Fair Presenters
The Sioux Empire Home Builders Care Foundation Workforce Development Grant program serves to provide funding for projects that address a demonstrated need in the building industry, encourage
and attract competent people to a career in the construction trades, make an effective use of volunteers and/or matching funds, and create a positive impact on builder workforce issues in the Sioux Empire.
Apply for the Grant today...
Middle School Construction Club
Formed by HBASE in 2014 with funding support by the Care Foundation, the Harrisburg Construction Club is an after school shop class for students at the Harrisburg South Middle School. The goal of the Club is to introduce students to the building trades. Since the start, 25 students have been inspired by the program.
Summer Construction Camp
In 2016, a Summer Constructon Camp was held by the Sioux Falls Career and Technical Education (CTE) Academy and HBASE. This camp was created for 7th and 8th graders that are showing an interest in carpentry, construction and wooodworking. The camp included four half days of hands-on activites. A total of 28 students learned about basic safety, hand tool operation, basic skills in the carpentry trade and had an opportunity to assist in building projects.
CTE Academy Classroom Sponsor
Through the Sioux Falls public school district, the CTE Academy allows students to create promising futures in technical careers through relevant, hands-on learning opportunities. The Care Foundation supports the CTE Academy as a classroom sponsor of the carpentry and cabinetry programs.
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry representatives working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. The Care Foundation provides funds for students to participate in SkillsUSA building competitions. SkillsUSA helps each student excel by discovering their career passion and appreciating their own self-worth.
The Home Builders Association of the Sioux Empire along with the Care Foundation, work together to support our community. Some community service projects include:
Feature Homes on Parade of Homes
During the Spring and Fall Parade of Homes, at times, the HBASE will feature a builder's home known as the 'Feature Home'. Admission to these homes is $5/person proceeds benefit the Sioux Empire Home Builders Care Foundation.
Charity Home Fundraiser
The Care Foundation accepted donations from HBASE members of cash, labor and materials to construct this 3,300 sq. ft. home in southern Sioux Falls. Proceeds from the sale of this home will benefit the Care Foundation by giving it the ability to fund scholarships, Tools for Schools and Repair Affair. All of these programs and others improve the lives of those less fortunate while also shedding a positive light on the kind-hearted professionals in the Sioux Empire’s home building industry.
Thank you to the HBASE members who have committed to donating materials, labor or cash towards the charity home project:
- ABC Supply
- Advertising Arts
- Agan Drywall Supply, Inc.
- Alan Amdahl Construction Co.
- Allied Building Products
- American Technical Services
- Aqua Falls Water - Kinetico
- Audio Video Integrations, LLC
- Bayer Built Woodwork
- Beatch Construction LLC
- Bickett's Construction
- Bolte's Sunrise Sanitary Services
- Border States Electric Supply
- Bruner Construction
- Budget Blinds of Siouxland
- Builder's Millwork & Window, LLC
- Building Products Inc.
- Butler Machinery
- C & C Painting
- Cabinet Works
- Carpet One Floor & Home
- CityWide Insulation
- Closets N More
- Comfort Products Distributing
- Complete Contracting, Inc.
- Component Manufacturing Co.
- Concrete Materials Company
- CR & J Construction
- CRC Seamless
- Creative Surfaces, Inc / The Stone Center
- Dakota Kitchen & Bath, Inc.
- Dakota Millwork
- Dakota Supply Group
- Dakotaland Builders, Inc.
- Dawn Bures Designs
- Dream Design & Drafting
- Driscoll Construction
- Earthscapes, Inc.
- Ehrhart Griffin & Associates
- Engineered Truss Systems, Inc.
- Fireplace Professionals, Inc.
- First Rate Excavate, Inc.
- Fischer, Rounds & Associates
- Flooring America
- Friessen Construction Co., Inc.
- Frisbee Plumbing, Heating, A/C & Electrical
- Glass Doctor
- Goodin Company
- Gopher Irrigation, Inc.
- H & H Mobile Home Service, Inc.
- Hagen Grading Company
- Hammerhead Construction
- Hartung Homes LLC
- HBASE’s Remodeling Council
- Heartland Construction, Inc.
- Hebron Brick Supply
- Hjellming Construction Co.
- Home Definition
- Home Tech, Inc.
- Independent Insurance Agents
- J Wahl Construction
- J.H. Larson Electrical Co.
- Jarding Construction, Inc.
- JBart Construction
- Karl’s TV-Audio & Appliance
- KC & Co.
- Keller Williams Realty - Tony Ratchford
- Keller Williams Realty - Stephanie Zomermaand
- KN Construction, Inc.
- Kwik Kerb
- Lamps & Shades, Inc.
- Landscape Garden Centers
- Lavelle Company
- Lebert Construction
- LeBrun Landscaping, Inc.
- Lowe's Home Improvement
- Lynde Construction, Inc.
- Mahlander's Appliance & Lighting
- MAP Properties, Ltd.
- Mettler Construction Co.
- Midwest Concrete
- Midwest Excavating Inc.
- Milliron Granite & Quartz
- Moen Incorporated
- My Lot Store
- Naatjes Concrete Inc.
- N-Drywall & Construction
- New Prairie Insulation, Inc.
- Norfolk Financial
- Northland Coatings, Inc.
- O'Hara Masonry
- Olson Digging Service
- Overhead Door Co. of Sioux Falls
- Paul Nelsen Construction
- Pella Windows & Doors
- Perfect Seal Waterproofing
- R & R Concrete, Inc.
- R.L. Drywall & Insulation, Inc.
- Radon Mitigation Systems
- Regal Tile
- Ronning Companies
- Sands Drywall Inc.
- Save Our Space, Inc.
- Schoeneman Bros. Lumber Company
- Scott's Lumber & Supply
- Shaw Industries
- Sherwin Williams
- Showplace Kitchens
- Simply Perfect
- Sioux Falls Paint & Decorating
- Sioux Falls Winnelson
- Siouxland Construction
- Sorlien Electric Inc.
- Southeast Technical Institute
- Superior Construction
- Syverson Tile & Stone
- The Davis Company
- The Insurance Connection
- Thornton Flooring
- Tim Miller Construction
- Timber Roots Truss Plant
- Today's StarMark Custom Cabinetry & Furniture
- Tom Hines & Kim Hefner-Hines
- United Concrete, Inc.
- Viking Sheetmetal
- Walter Ree Masonry Construction, Inc.
- Warren Window & Supply / Marvin
- Waterbury Heating & Cooling, Inc.
- Wiley Painting
- Xcel Energy
- Zelmer, Inc.
- Zome’s Construction
Thank you to the Task Force Members:
Chair: Mike Sprang | J. H. Larson Electrical Co.
Randy Bruner | Bruner Construction
Dawn Bures | dawn bures designs
Colleen Elcock | First Bank & Trust
Kim Hefner | Doug Allen Homes
Tom Hines | Frisbee Plumbing, Heating, A/C & Electrical
Culley Lebert | CGP, Lebert Construction
Nancy Matt | Showplace Kitchens
Cynthia Monnin | Friessen Construction Co, Inc.
Paul Nelsen | Paul Nelsen Construction
Marci Pirlet | Frisbee Plumbing, Heating, A/C & Electrical
Mike Rechnagel | Home Definition
Jeff Schlepp | Southeast Technical Institute
Kevin Zomermaand | Zome's Construction, Inc.
2016 Sioux Empire Care Foundation Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees for the Sioux Empire Home Builders Care Foundation is a small group of volunteers from within the Home Builders Association of the Sioux Empire. This group meets on a quarterly basis to discuss the charitable activities of the Foundation.
- Tom Jarding, Jarding Construction, Inc. - Chair
- Paul Nelsen, Paul Nelsen Construction - Vice-Chair
- Todd Boots, CityWide Insulation
- Tom DeHaven, CorTrust Mortgage, Inc.
- Colleen Elcock, First Bank & Trust
- Randy Fink, First Dakota National Bank
- Kim Hefner-Hines, Allen Homes, Inc.
- Tom Hines, Frisbee Plumbing, Heating, A/C & Electrical
- Culley Lebert, CGP, Lebert Construction
- Nancy Matt, Showplace Kitchens
- Al Schoeneman, Schoeneman Bros. Lumber Company