Jobsite Theft Prevention
Report suspicious activity at a construction jobsite! All tips are 100% anonymous and if it leads to an arrest, you may receive a cash reward. Call 605-367-7007 or 877-367-7007, Submit Tips Online or Download the Free App "P3 Tips"
Jobsite Theft Prevention
Download the tip sheet. There are many ways to secure your jobsite in an effort to avoid being a victim of jobsite theft.
The most common crime we are seeing are tools stolen from locked trailers after padlocks are busted off (see below). Get in the habit of at the end of each workday, position your job trailer so it is difficult to steal or break into. Block it in with heavy equipment (remove the keys!), back it up to the garage or side of the house and literally do whatever you can to make life difficult for thieves.
If you are a victim of these crimes, it’s not as simple as an insurance claim. Time is money so think of how much it will set your schedule back by having to work with the police department on the report, contact the insurance company to file the claim and not to mention having to buy all new tools again. Save yourself the time, money and headache of being a victim of these crimes.
Also, area police departments are strongly encouraging builders and their subcontractors to track the serial numbers of their tools or at least make a unique marking on them (paint color, initials, etc). All police departments are connected to pawn shops nationwide and when an item is pawned, the pawn shop must enter the serial number first to allow the authorities to locate any stolen items.
Recently Reported Jobsite Thefts
When a construction jobsite has a reported theft, the HBASE office is informed of the general details. This is in an effort to spread awareness about this ongoing problem in our community. Use this as a reminder to keep your jobsite secure at all times. Below is the list of recently reported jobsite thefts in the Sioux Falls area at residential construction jobsites. The HBASE office does not have additional information than what is posted below.
- Northwestern Sioux Falls (August 2019) - Suspects broke out a window of the trailer and stole tools valued at approximately $2,000. No serial numbers were provided.
- Northwestern Sioux Falls (August 2019) - Suspects cut the locks off the trailer and stole tools valued at approximately $2,000. No serial numbers were provided.
- Southwestern Sioux Falls (August 2019) - Suspects cut the locks off the trailer and stole tools valued at approximately $3,500. No serial numbers were provided.
- Southwestern Sioux Falls (June 2019) - Suspects cut the locks off the trailer and stole tools valued at approximately $25,000. No serial numbers were provided.
- Southwestern Sioux Falls (March 2019) - Suspects gained entry into a home that was under construction and stole approximately $3,200 in tools.