Choosing a Licensed Builder
If you’re in the market to build a new home, you should shop for your Builder as carefully as you shop for your home. You want to know that you are building a good quality home with a reputable Builder. Here are some tips to help you choose a Builder.
MAKE A LIST OF POSSIBLE BUILDERS
The Home Builders Association of the Sioux Empire (HBASE) should be your first stop for finding potential Builders who construct homes in your area.
Flipping through Home Ideas Magazine and reading the articles can help you to learn which Builders are active in your area. Local Real Estate Agents may also be able to help you in your search.
Ask friends and relatives for recommendations. Ask about Builders they have dealt with directly, or ask them for names of acquaintances who have recently had a good experience with a Builder.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
When you have a list of potential Builders, it’s time to start asking lots of questions — of both the potential Builders and the owners of homes they have built.
When you’re thinking about building a new home, selecting the right home Builder is a key step in creating the home of your dreams. You should feel comfortable asking a potential home Builder every question that you think is important. A professional Builder or sales representative will want to make you a happy and satisfied home owner.
List of questions to ask Builders
- Will they give you references of recent customers?
Some questions to ask home owners include: Are you happy with your home? If you had any problems, were they fixed promptly and properly? Would you buy another home from this Builder?
Usually, people tell you if they are pleased with their homes. And if they are not, they’ll probably want to tell you why.
- Are there options in the floor plan — for example, can a sunroom or deck be added?
- Can a room such as the basement be left unfinished?
- How much “customizing” can be done versus standard features?
- Can appliances be upgraded or down-graded?
- How far out are they from accepting and starting a new build?
- What is their preferred method of communication?
- Will there be a home owner’s association (HOA)?
- If so, what will the dues cost and what do they cover?
- Does the Builder offer a warranty program?
- Does the price include landscaping?
- Are there any restrictive covenants?
- What are the estimated taxes on the property?
- How is the school system rated?
- Are daycare and grocery stores conveniently located?
- What about emergency facilities - police, a fire department and hospitals?
- Are there any major development plans for the area in the next tenyears?
SHOP FOR QUALITY AND VALUE
Look at new homes whenever you can. Parade of Homes put on by the HBASE and open houses in the area are good opportunities to look at homes in all price ranges.
When examining a home, look at the quality of the construction features. Inspect the quality of the cabinetry, carpeting, trimwork and paint. Ask questions and get as many specifics as possible.
If you receive the answers verbally rather than in writing, take notes.
INTERVIEW MORE THAN ONE BUILDER
Not sure which Builder to chose? Is price a big element in your decision? Feel free to meet with more than one Builder. If quoting, make sure to give each Builder the same requirements for your building needs so all the quotes you receive will be equally compared. Don’t settle on your first quote received.
Remember not to chose your Builder based on the least expensive quote. Personality can play a large role in the home building process. Make sure you’ll feel comfortable working with the Builder you choose as you’ll be working with them very closely while building your dream home.
After choosing your Builder, you will have to agree to a contract before construction begins on your home. If you have specific needs, get it in writing to avoid any disputes in the future.